Better Smart TVs. A guide to the best high-end, mid-range, and budget TVs on the market.
Have you decided to buy a smart TV but are still undecided about the choice? You are in exactly the right place. I will show you what a Smart TV is, how it works, what are the parameters to take into consideration to choose the model that suits your needs and I will provide you with a list of the best Smart TVs on the market, divided by price range.
Which smart TV to choose
The smart TV is a latest-generation device, which allows you to integrate services and functions usable through the internet on your TV.
Thanks to the internet connection, you can therefore use your TV as a real computer: surf the web, use social networks, read the latest news, view photos and videos, play music, download software and multimedia content and so on. Street.
The name “ Smart ” or “ intelligent ” refers to the fact that it is a real intelligent evolution of traditional televisions. But how does it work?
Its operation is really practical and intuitive: a simple remote control allows you to access its contents and applications in no time.
Among the functions offered by a smart TV we have:
- Streaming : to view youtube videos, play music playlists, browse photo galleries.
- Social networks : to access the main social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
- Catch-Up TV : to watch a program previously broadcast on a television channel.
- On Demand : to rent or buy a vast catalog of TV series, films, cartoons.
Before buying a Smart TV it is important to know the most interesting parameters to evaluate.
The dimensions depend on the environment in which you want to place your device. If you want to buy a Full HD screen, you have to keep in mind that the difference between the different resolutions is only noticeable in larger screens (from a 24-inch Smart TV upwards).
Different types of screens affect image quality. On the market you will find:
- LCD panels: the surface of these panels has two layers, between which are contained the so-called liquid crystals which must be backlit in order to transmit color images.
- LED panels: the backlighting of the panel occurs through the presence of LEDs (Light Emitting Diode), which are tiny light sources arranged in various points that generate intense light that can vary in color.
- OLED panels: no backlight is needed as the diode producing the light is self-illuminating.
- QLED panels: a technology that exploits the ” Quantum Dot “, that is photosensitive microparticles that when hit by light emit a different color based on the size of the same point. The shades and color spectrums are much wider than the other panels.
Smart TVs can be HD Ready (with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels), Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), Ultra HD 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels), or Ultra HD 8K (7680 × 4320 pixels). Obviously the higher the resolution, the higher the quality of the images reproduced on the screen: it is preferable to never go below Full HD but to equip yourself with an Ultra HD to find yourself a long-lasting Smart TV.
Just like with smartphones, the operating system installed depends on the manufacturer of the Smart TV. The main operating systems currently on the market are:
- Android Smart TV: offers free access to all Play Store content and allows control of the TV via tablet or smartphone. Among the Android Smart TVs are those signed by Sony , Sharp and Philips .
- Smart TV Firefox OS: has a browser for surfing the internet (Mozilla Firefox of course) and offers a rather intuitive and colorful interface. This operating system is the basis of Panasonic TVs .
- Smart TV Tizen OS / Smart Hub: is the one used by the Samsung brand and boasts a wide range of applications and functions available.
- Smart TV Web OS: this is the LG home operating system. It is fast but less intuitive than other operating systems.
Best high-end Smart TVs
1. Samsung QE49Q60RATXZT 49 ″ – 4K HDR
Let’s start with one of the best 4K TVs on the market of the South Korean company: the Samsung QE49Q60RATXZT.
The display of this device boasts the innovative QLED technology in combo with the Ultra HD 4K resolution: the maximum that you can ask for from a screen.
Really noteworthy is it is Quantum Dot processor, capable of optimizing the performance in real-time in relation to the content transmitted from the screen and the viewing conditions, offering realistic and detailed scenes.
Among the extra features, we also have the Upscaling function that eliminates noise from images by projecting perfectly clean scenes and the Intelligent Mode, which allows the Smart TV to adapt to the surrounding environment based on the level of brightness in the room.
2. Samsung UE49LS03NAUXZT The Frame
Let’s move on to a TV that also acts as a piece of furniture for your home: The Frame is the picture-shaped Smart TV produced by Samsung, an appliance capable of giving an innovative touch of design to any environment.
It is a device that goes beyond the classic concept of TV, with a strong visual impact and with remarkable technical features: Edge LED panel with 4K Ultra HD resolution and Dolby Digital Plus audio support.
The art mode is really interesting, thanks to which this TV turns into a digital frame: you can choose to reproduce more than 1000 paintings divided into 10 different categories, including natural landscapes and architecture.